Saturday, March 5, 2011

Mobile Technologies

I am a huge proponent of using mobile technologies in the classroom. I often use sites such as polleverywhere.com to involve my students in my class. One thing that truly amazed me was the story about kids buying "cheap" cell phones online and turning them in when they get caught by teachers. Thus, retaining possession of thier own phones. It never amazes me what kids will do to outsmart a teacher. I have this arguement with teachers at my school all the time. Cell phones have changed the way we live our lives. Many people no longer have home phones, just cell phones. Students in elementary school are asking for and often have cell phones. I allow my students to use thier phones, because I use mine. I use my phone to control powerpoints on my smartboard. I use my phone to post messages to my class blog. Why not encourage students to use technology that they know and already are using?

1 comment:

  1. Larry made a similar point on his blog with respect to cell phones in school. If a teacher takes the time to integrate cell phone technology into their classroom, then you get the added benefit of knowing what they are doing with them, i.e. using the polleverywhere.com service you mentioned. Oh yeah, and you'd be modeling a positive way to use technology in school too.

    ReplyDelete